Friday, March 1, 2013

Austen Men Crossword Puzzle

I did this once before, for Austen's birthday celebration two years ago, and had a hankering for some more. This is just for fun. Answers are two words unless otherwise indicated (a first name or title and last). I'll post the solution on Sunday.

I know the numbers are hard to see, even with the oversized image. Hopefully, it isn't a deterrent (feedback would be much appreciated). If you click on the puzzle, you will at least get an unobstructed view of it. Happy weekend, Janeites!



Across 

 2."Ha! he was surprised at that;" and added, "certainly you cannot do better than to continue as you are; you cannot be better than well; or I should recommend Gowland, the constant use of Gowland, during the spring months." (3 words)
4.  "I will prove myself a man, no less by the generosity of my soul than the clearness of my head. I have no patience with such of my sex as disdain to let themselves sometimes down to the comprehension of yours."
7.  "She does not think evil, but she speaks it, speaks it in playfulness; and though I know it to be playfulness, it grieves me to the soul."
9. "Lord help you! -- You women are always thinking of men's being in liquor. Why, you do not suppose a man is overset by a bottle?
10.  "He enquired after you very particularly; asked even if you were personally altered, little suspecting that to my eye you could never alter." (3 words)
14.  "If I am not deceived by the uncertainty, the partiality of tender recollection, there is a very strong resemblance between them, as well in mind as person. The same warmth of heart, the same eagerness of fancy and spirits."
15.  "Exactly so; that is what principally strikes me."

Down

1.  "This is beyond me," said he. "This requires explanation. Young as you are, and having seen scarcely any one, it is hardly possible that your affections--" (3 words)
3. "Brother and sister! no, indeed."
5.  "I see how it will be. You will be setting your cap at him now, and never think of poor Brandon." (3 words)
6.  "I never was so long in company with a girl in my life, trying to entertain her, and succeed so ill! Never met with a girl who looked so grave on me! I must try to get the better of this."
8.  "What think you of books?" said he, smiling.
11.  "For God's sake, say no more of his partners. Oh! that he had sprained his ancle in the first dance!"
12.  "To avoid a comparative poverty, which her affection and her society would have deprived of all its horrors, I have, by raising myself to affluence, lost every thing that could make it a blessing." (1 word)
13.  "As I must therefore conclude that you are not serious in your rejection of me, I shall chuse to attribute it to your wish of increasing my love by suspense, according to the usual practice of elegant females."

No comments:

Post a Comment